About Lumina Alliance
Lumina Alliance is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization created by the merging of RISE and Stand Strong in July 2021. Their mission is to empower those impacted by sexual and intimate partner violence through innovative advocacy, healing, and prevention programs. Services include 24/7 crisis and information line, case management, accompaniment and advocacy, emergency shelters, transitional housing, individual and group therapy, and robust prevention education.
Best Practices When Talking About Sexual & Intimate Partner Violence
- Avoid gendered language – anyone can be a survivor or a perpetrator of sexual and intimate partner violence, regardless of gender.
- Consider how your headlines impact the viewer’s attitude on survivors and people who harm.
- Use the word “survivor” or “client” rather than “victim”.
- Include up-to-date statistics. Statistics can be found at:
CDC statistics on Intimate Partner Violence
CDC statistics on Sexual Violence
Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) statistics on Sexual Violence
National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV) statistics on Domestic Violence
- Recognize that sexual and intimate partner violence don’t only happen in heterosexual relationships.
- Recognize that sexual and intimate partner violence happen to people of all age, race, ability, income levels, geographic location, sexual orientation, and gender.
- November 3rd, 2023:
Lumina Alliance Launches Gun Safety Campaign and Speaks About Upcoming Supreme Court Ruling
- July 25, 2023: Lumina Alliance receives new funding from the Women’s Recovery Response Grant Program
- June 7, 2023: Lumina Alliance Collaborates with San Luis Obispo Legal Assistance Foundation
- June 6, 2023: Lumina Alliance receives $600,000 grant to prevent violence in schools
- April 27, 2023: Homeless Services Agencies Join Together To Improve Communication & Problem Solving
- March 1, 2023: 2nd Annual Lumina Nights Gala to Honor Local Leaders
2021 & 2022
- November 29, 2022: Lumina Alliance Launches ReDefine Parenting
- October 1, 2022: Lumina Alliance and Cal Poly Safer Welcome October as Dating & Domestic Violence Action Month
- September 9, 2022: Lumina Alliance to Carry Forward Dancing With Our Star Event
- July 14, 2022: First-Annual Celebrate Community Festival & Fun Run
- June 24, 2022: Reproductive Rights Media Release
- April 7, 2022: Lumina Alliance Welcomes April as Sexual Assault Action Month
- March 22, 2022: Inaugural Fundraiser, Lumina Nights, Raises Funds to Support Survivors of Violence
- July 1, 2021: RISE & Stand Strong Join Forces to Support Those Affected By Sexual Assault, Intimate Partner Violence In San Luis Obispo County