About Lumina Alliance
Lumina Alliance is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization created by the merging of RISE and Stand Strong in July 2021. Their mission is to empower those impacted by sexual and intimate partner violence through innovative advocacy, healing, and prevention programs. Services include 24/7 crisis and information line, case management, restraining order assistance, legal assistance, accompaniment and advocacy, emergency shelters, transitional housing, individual and group therapy, and robust prevention education. For more information, please visit www.LuminaAlliance.org.
Best Practices When Talking About Sexual & Intimate Partner Violence
- Avoid gendered language – anyone can be a survivor or a perpetrator of sexual and intimate partner violence, regardless of gender.
- Consider how your headlines impact the viewer’s attitude on survivors and people who harm.
- Use the word “survivor” or “client” rather than “victim”.
- Include up-to-date statistics. Statistics can be found at:
- Recognize that sexual and intimate partner violence don’t only happen in heterosexual relationships.
- Recognize that sexual and intimate partner violence happen to people of all age, race, ability, income levels, geographic location, sexual orientation, and gender.
- April 7, 2022: Lumina Alliance Welcomes April as Sexual Assault Action Month
- March 22, 2022: Inaugural Fundraiser, Lumina Nights, Raises Funds to Support Survivors of Violence
- July 1, 2021: RISE & Stand Strong Join Forces to Support Those Affected By Sexual Assault, Intimate Partner Violence In San Luis Obispo County
- July 14, 2022: First-Annual Celebrate Community Festival & Fun Run
- September 9, 2022: Lumina Alliance to Carry Forward Dancing With Our Star Event
- October 1, 2022: Lumina Alliance and Cal Poly Safer Welcome October as Dating & Domestic Violence Action Month
- November 29, 2022: Lumina Alliance Launches ReDefine Parenting
- Reproductive Rights Media Release