Lumina Alliance is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization established in 1979. Our mission is to empower those impacted by sexual and intimate partner violence through innovative advocacy, healing, and prevention programs. Services include 24/7 crisis and information line, case management, accompaniment and advocacy, emergency shelters, transitional housing, individual and group therapy, and robust prevention education.
Our team is made up of individuals full of passion, integrity, and empathy, all of whom bring their unique strengths and insights with them as we all work together to create a safe, thriving, and equitable community. We post all job openings on this page, so check back regularly for any new openings. Learn more about us.
The Hiring Process
How to Apply
To apply for an open position, submit your resume and a cover letter or personal statement explaining why you are interested in working at Lumina Alliance.
Email both documents to [email protected]. Be sure to include the job title, followed by your name in the subject line.
Things to Consider
Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide!
Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply for jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
After You Apply
A team member from People & Culture or the Hiring Manager for the position will contact you if they would like to move forward with your application.
Purpose and Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Therapy Department Clinical Director, Therapists are responsible for providing therapy services for clients of the agency – adult survivors of sexual abuse (SA) and/or intimate partner violence (IPV) and children/teens who are survivors of sexual abuse (SA) and/or intimate partner violence (IPV). A Therapist may see clients at any of the Lumina Alliance offices in San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles and/or Grover Beach.
Hours: Part-time and Full-time positions available
Location: San Luis Obispo County
Trainee Therapist – $21.00 – $23.64
Associate Therapist – $27.00 – $30.39
Licensed Therapist – $32.00 – $36.02 (Bilingual differential of $1/hr if applicable)
See Full Job Description Here: Job Description
The Interview Process
What to Expect
Most positions typically have a two-step panel interview process:
- Initial interview, typically virtual via Zoom or Google Meets
- Second Round Interview, usually in person at our San Luis Obispo Office
- Some departments and positions have brief skills demonstration presentations or related portions, skills tests
Note: Panel interviews consist of 2-4 current staff members and the applicant.
How to Prepare
We recommend the following steps to prepare for your interview:
- Carefully review the Job Description. Consider how your experiences align with the job, and be prepared to discuss your experience.
- Review our website to get a basic understanding of the work we do and who we are.
- Consider what is your “Why”? Why do you want to work at Lumina Alliance? Why are you interested in this particular position?
- Write down any questions that come up for you as you have gone through this process. You will have an opportunity to ask our team questions throughout the interview process.
If you are a finalist for a position you can expect the following steps before an offer is made.
- Reference Checks through Xref
- Live Scan Fingerprinting and DOJ and FBI background checks
Once an offer is made:
- Requesting I-9 Documents be completed
- Scheduling for the 65-hour training to become a state-certified crisis counselor (required of all staff)
Our Core Values
At Lumina Alliance our Core Values are more than a list on our website; we integrate them into all aspects of our work, agency meetings, policies, and documents. These values guide how we operate and interact.
- Put People First: We recognize and value the whole person and their unique experiences. We treat every individual with respect, dignity, and kindness.
- Honor Self-Care: We honor the needs of each individual. We respect healthy boundaries, encourage laughter and play, and foster growth and development in order to thrive.
- Act with Integrity: We act with honesty, transparency, courtesy, and fairness in all that we do in order to foster collaboration, trust, and sustainability.
- Seek Understanding: We approach people, ideas, and situations with an open heart and an open mind. We pursue growth and connection while acknowledging our impact.
- Communicate with Courage: We speak intentionally and with authenticity. We establish shared expectations and deliver on our word. We hold one another accountable.
- Foster Learning Culture: We learn from and share our mistakes. We create space for learning, evolving, and challenging the status quo through open communication and collaborative decision-making.
- Empower One Another: We empower the people we serve, our community partners, each other, and ourselves to reach our fullest potential.
Lumina Alliance does everything it can to support and empower our team, including offering the following benefits:
- Generous health insurance benefits paid for by Lumina Alliance
- Premium dental and vision insurance paid for by Lumina Alliance
- Life insurance paid for by Lumina Alliance
- IRA Retirement plan with matching employer contributions
- At least 16 paid holidays throughout the year
- Generous paid-time-off accruals with opportunities for more
- Various engaging internal committees you can attend with paid time
- Opportunities for professional growth and promotion within the agency
- Generous pet accommodations
- Hybrid work opportunities (varies based on position)
- Family-friendly workplace and culture
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Lumina Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, creed, national origin, disability, sex, marital status, age, or any other protected status covered by federal or state law.