Who We Are
About Lumina Alliance
We believe everyone has a basic human right to live free of sexual and intimate partner violence. Advocacy, education, prevention, and public policy are powerful tools we are using to enact change in our community.
Create a safe, thriving, and equitable community.
Empower those impacted by sexual and intimate partner violence through innovative advocacy, healing, and prevention programs.
Our Guiding Principles:
- People have a basic human right to live free of sexual and intimate partner violence.
- Sexual and intimate partner violence is preventable.
- Everyone has a role and responsibility in doing this work.
- Sexual and intimate partner violence exists within a system of oppression.
- Advocacy, education, prevention, and public policy are the keys to social change.
- Collaboration and alliance building are essential to successful anti-violence work.
- Diversity and safe, accessible services are fundamental to creating social change and ending sexual and intimate partner violence.
- The voices of survivors drive our work; we empower them to make choices for themselves while providing compassionate services, dignity, privacy, and respect.
- Everyone has a role in sustaining our work through a culture of abundance and generosity, by bringing together ample resources and action for the public good.
Our Core Values:
- Put People First: We recognize and value the whole person and their unique experiences. We treat every individual with respect, dignity, and kindness.
- Honor Self-Care: We honor the needs of each individual. We respect healthy boundaries, encourage laughter and play, and foster growth and development in order to thrive.
- Act with Integrity: We act with honesty, transparency, courtesy, and fairness in all that we do in order to foster collaboration, trust, and sustainability.
- Assume Positive Intent: We bring kindness and grace to every interaction. We recognize one another’s humanity as we work toward our shared vision.
- Communicate with Courage: We speak intentionally and with authenticity. We establish shared expectations and deliver on our word. We hold one another accountable.
- Foster Learning Culture: We learn from and share our mistakes. We create space for learning, evolving, and challenging the status quo through open communication and collaborative decision-making.
- Empower One Another: We empower the people we serve, our community partners, each other, and ourselves to reach our fullest potential.
Our Commitment to Advancing Racial Justice, Social Justice & Equity:
- Lumina Alliance is committed to ending all forms of violence. Different types of violence are connected and interpersonal violence occurs within the larger context of community and state violence and inequity.
- When we fail to recognize each other’s full humanity—whether individually or by painting whole groups as “other”—we contribute to dehumanization and pave the way for violence. But when we seek to understand those who are different from us, we create a world where violence is neither celebrated nor tolerated.
- Different forms of oppression are connected. The sexism, homophobia, and transphobia that fuel gender-based violence are interwoven with racism, xenophobia, and other types of oppression that devalue the lives of entire groups of people.
- Lumina Alliance is committed to advancing racial justice by looking internally at ourselves and our organization and participating in collective power-building. We pledge to stand with all who seek racial justice, social justice, and liberation from oppression.