Volunteer & Intern
Make a difference in your community by becoming a crisis line volunteer, Camp HOPE volunteer counselor, events volunteer or intern for Lumina Alliance.
Crisis Line Volunteers
Lumina Alliance is dedicated to supporting survivors of sexual and intimate partner violence on the Central Coast. Our committed, inspiring crisis line volunteers are the backbone of our work. As a volunteer, you will have the opportunity to directly assist survivors and loved ones affected by sexual assault, sexual abuse, and intimate partner violence.
After reviewing the applications, the Training Coordinator will interview folks to learn more about their experiences and motivations and answer any questions they may have. There is limited space for each training, so apply early & provide plenty of information. All volunteers with Lumina Alliance are thoroughly screened and fingerprinted after acceptance into the program.
What Do Volunteers Do?
Volunteers primarily help to staff our 24-hour crisis and information hotline, which includes the following responsibilities:
- Crisis Support: Provide information, support & advocacy to survivors & loved ones on our after-hours hotline. Volunteers start by believing survivors that call and empower them to make decisions based on their situation.
- Accompaniments: Accompany survivors at law enforcement interviews & medical forensic exams.
- Advocacy: Interact with partner agencies to advocate for survivors and their loved ones.
- Emergency Shelter: Intake & transport clients into our emergency shelters, orienting them and providing support along the way.
- Prevention and Education: Assist our education team with prevention programs & community organizing in the classroom and community. Learn More
- Community Outreach: Staff information tables at community health fairs, farmer’s markets, and other events. Learn more
Qualifications to participate in training:
- Passion for ending intimate partner violence & sexual assault.
- Patient, empathetic, and sensitive to the diverse needs and backgrounds of clients
- Ability (or willingness to learn) to communicate effectively with people in crisis and remain calm during crisis situations
- Must maintain complete client & shelter location confidentiality.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) language capabilities are strongly preferred but not required.
Survivors of Intimate Partner Violence and Sexual Assault are welcome, but they must be emotionally ready to assist other survivors. As the training and work can be triggering, we encourage abundant self-awareness, self-care, and a significant amount of healing before enrolling in the class. We ask that at least a year has passed between volunteering and receiving services from Lumina Alliance or similar agencies.
Please email the Volunteer Training Coordinator, at [email protected] for more information.
Lumina Alliance hosts various fundraising events throughout the year, supported by dedicated volunteers. If you have the time and passion for supporting our mission, you can sign up today to receive email communication about event volunteer needs as they arise.
The event committee meets all year round to help with event planning, concept design, sponsorship and donation solicitation, volunteer recruitment, marketing, and execution of Lumina Alliance events. They are involved on the ground floor of our events, and they provide volunteer leadership on the day of the events. This committee has several positions and is always looking for enthusiastic supporters to join the team.
Day of Volunteers
Day of event volunteers can sign up to help on the day of an event in various ways. You can sign up for a shift that best matches your interest and time availability. To get notified of volunteer opportunities, fill out our interest form.
Camp HOPE Volunteer Counselors
Lumina Alliance is SLO county’s rape crisis center, and as part of our Prevention Department we have partnered with Camp HOPE America. Camp HOPE is the first evidence-based, trauma-informed camping and mentoring program in the US to focus on children and teens exposed to domestic violence. Their mission is to give youth (ages 7-17) a brighter future by creating pathways to hope and healing.
Camp Counselors are a key component of the camp experience for the children. Training sessions prior to the camp will be held online with modules provided by Camp HOPE America. Counselors will be able to assist as volunteers in setting up, coordinating, and running events. We are looking for people who are driven, full of passion, patience and compassion- particularly towards children. Come join us in the camp experience happening August 8th-12th, 2022!
This position is unpaid and counselors stay at the camp with the campers during the week.
Please email [email protected] to apply for this position. Applications will close mid-July.
Lumina Alliance has various internship opportunities available for undergraduate and graduate students and interested community members. Internship positions are available in the areas of Crisis Services, Prevention Education, and Development & Marketing. Internship commitments last for six months (two academic quarters or one semester) and can be developed based on your passions and experience. Crisis Services & Prevention Education Interns must receive 65 hours of training. Please email the Volunteer Training Coordinator, at [email protected] for more information.
Lumina Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, religion, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We strive to offer inclusive, accessible and accommodating services to everyone in our community by centering & amplifying marginalized voices & experiences within the movement.